FPB PITCHSCALER+, a Push linked scale quantisation Max for Live MIDI device.
This device requires the included "FPB last note off only" Max Patcher to be stored with the main device your Max file path.
Made with Live 11.3.4 and Ableton Push 2
This device functions in many ways like the ‘Scale' MIDI effect native to Ableton Live with some important adaptations described below:
- Scale and Key centre are linked to Lives internal scale and key settings. This means if you update the scale on a Push unit , for example, it will update this device and if you update the scale on this device it will update the scale on your Push unit.
- This device allows for the automation of Key and Scale as part of a Live Set, which you don’t otherwise have access to in Ableton live.
- This device has more options on how to treat notes that are out of the settable designated range of this scale quantiser making the range controls a much more musical live interactive experience.
- This device transposes in scale. Unlike Lives scale device which can transpose after scale quantisation (effectively changing the key from the one selected) this device transposes notes before scale quantisation meaning the output remains in the selected key and scale and patterns can be modally moved around within it.
- This device doesn't prematurely mute ‘same value output notes’ triggered by different input notes when one of said notes is released. Instead this device counts and prioritises note on messages and sustains all notes until every input that currently triggers it is sends a note off message.
- There is an error on the ‘Lydian Dominant’ scale values in Live’s scale device, that has been corrected in this Max for Live MIDI device.
This Max for Live device is fully annotated and descriptions of how each aspect of the device works can be found in Lives Info View window.
Feature requests and coffee donations can be made by clicking on the FPB logo and following the links.
Pitch Scaler + Max for Live device, "Last note off only" max patch