Key Scale Matcher MIDI and Key Scale Matcher Audio are two independent but very similar Max for live devices that identify the most likely Keys and Scales being used in Ableton Live.
Each device can compare a selection of incoming notes to all of Ableton Lives 420 available scales and then display the closest 30 matches in order. *
These devices are useful both for ascertaining Key and Scale of pre recorded MIDI and Audio clips and ascertaining the Key and Scale of MIDI and Audio music that is being played live.
If you use Push or other grid controllers you can then use this information to set the Key and Scale on those controllers so that you can create new parts that compliment your music.
These devices also compliment the freely available Pop Up Piano MIDI and Scale display for accelerating your musical use of theory in Ableton Live. Pop Up Piano is Available here: https://fingerspushbuttons.gumroad.com/
*Matches are based on corresponding and non-corresponding notes only, when two or more scales are equally matched to the current note selection they are displayed in no particular order.
- Drag and drop the device on to the MIDI or Audio track of your choosing in Ableton Live.
- Play MIDI/Audio in to the track, this will automatically add notes to the keyboard selection.
- Add or remove notes from the selection by clicking on the keyboard display with your mouse.
- View results in the info box. Click on the box to view and scroll through the full list of 30 matched scales.
- Press the Start Again button to start again.
2 x Max for Live devices, FPB Scale_matcher_MIDI and FPB-ScaleMatcher_Audio